25 things I've learned in 2018
So 2018 is almost over and I'm actually really looking forward to a new year and a fresh start. I have so many plans and goals for 2019 and I can't wait to get started!
I've been looking back on the year so far to evaluate what's happened. It was a very tough year for me, so I'm so glad I've made this far. I've been struggling with burnout before, but this time was like a thousand times worse. Before I would be back on track within a few months, but this time I've been out for almost a year. And I'm still not fully back yet. I am feeling better though and I'm starting to become myself again. I'm not that drained and exhausted person I was just a few months ago. My spark is back and that is what I'm most thankful for right now. I feel hopeful, dreamy, and creative again.
Therefore it's been so important for me to look back and also remember the positive things that have happened in my life this year. Because I don't want to remember this year as an endless struggle without a silver lining. So I've made a list of 25 things I've learned throughout this year, that have helped me become a better person and better at handling my life in general. Not all of them have felt positive at the time, but they have had a huge impact on the way I now live and view my life. Here they are:
1. It's okay to ask for help.
2. It's okay to rely on my partner sometimes.
3. It's necessary to listen to my body.
4. It's important to prioritize my health.
5. By reducing unnecessary stress in my life, I can be fully focused on what's really important to me, like my goals and dreams.
6. I can only do one thing effectively at a time. By doing more I won't do as good a job and I will waste more energy than necessary. It will also take longer.
7. I need to continously refill my energy tank. I've made a list of things that fill vs. drain it and I remind myself to try and keep a balance between them.
8. I need to take care of myself first, and THEN help others. Not the other way around.
9. I don't have to make other people's problems my own, and then also make it my responsibility to solve them.
10. It's okay to say no.
11. It's both okay and necessary to set healthy boundaries.
12. I don't need to explain why I can't or don't want to do something. "No" is a full sentence.
13. Who and what is and isn't important to me.
14. It's okay to not be perfect.
15. It's okay to have a messy house and garden.
16. I can't control everything and that's okay.
17. It's not healthy or productive to be a people pleaser. I simply can't please everyone.
18. I can't (and shouldn't) be everything to everyone.
19. I'm beautiful.
20. I have a good heart.
21. I matter.
22. I am enough.
23. My opinion matters.
24. My story matters.
25. I'm strong enough to deal with my life's challenges.
Do you have a list like this? If you do, what did you write that I didn't? If not, I challenge you to make one and share it here in the comments or just keep it for yourself as a reminder for when you feel down in the future. I think we all get into a negative space sometimes and it can be really difficult to get out. I think keeping lists like this can be very empowering and can help you to switch your mindset more easily.
Thank you so much for reading! Hope you liked it :)